Monday, June 29, 2009

Autobots, and Decepticons, and Bears; Oh My!

Well, it's been a little time since my last post, and I'm kind of disappointed it took me this long... Expect a bit more over the next few weeks.

Let's start back up with Transformers Two: Rise of the Fallen.

Now, I always liked Transformers in my (very) juvenile years, when it was on TV frequently, and the graphics weren't spiffy and 3D resemblance, but I never was a hardcore fan. I knew the basis of the show, who Optimus Prime was, Megatron, Hotshot, Bumblebee, Starscream... and so on, but I never really knew anything past that (probably because I picked up halfway through the series, and missed the entire beginning... Anyway.

Transformers 2 was pretty good, compared to the first one which I really didn't care for. I thought the action scenes were superb, and I actually felt a rush from two several-megaton robots beating crap out of each other for my amusement (or the fate of earth. Whichever.). Although admittedly, sometimes there were just so many moving parts in different parts, and they were all, for the most part, that metallic silvery grey, I had no idea who was choking who. Now for the bad:

Michael Bay definitely tried to hard with the humor bit. There were probably 12 unnecessary gags in there, that drove up the production cost up a few hundred thousand... I mean, sure, even if Sam's mom running into a hanging flower pots cost... $20, it ruins the whole moment of suspense... Transformers is an action series... And should be an action series. An occasional joke here and there is fine, but I mean it just seems like they're giving up the key nerd demographic, to entice more and more people to come spend money for the two bit puns.

Which I won't stand for ;).

So in hindsight, Transformers 2: Rise of the fallen is definitely must see if you're (A) into the series, or (B) like lots of action. If you're not either of those two, I'd definitely recommend renting T1 and T2, just because they're all around great movies...

I'd say Transformers 2: Rise of the Fallen scores a solid, 8 god-killingly-awesome-transforming-Cameros, out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment