Thursday, June 11, 2009

Matt Lauer Can Suck It!: Land of the Lost (spoilers possible)

The movie is hilarious, so I'll try and keep the spoilers low, but it's going to be hard... It was Classic Will Ferrell, backed by a great supporting Cast... They entailed: Anna Friel, Jorma Taccone and Danny McBride (more on him later). Supporting casts, are really the heart and soul of Ferrel movies; for without them, who else will he verbally - and sometimes physically - abuse?

But right, saving the best for... first, I guess we should start with the opening trailers... There Were 4: Year One, 9, G Force, Funny People. Two looked great, one looked... intriguing to say the least, and one looked AMAZING!
... For 8 year olds.

Let's start Funny People. I hadn't heard of it until tonight and all of you, sans Adam Sandler fanatics, haven't either. It looked kind of confusing in the beginning, but the movie in general looks pretty funny. Basically, Super Funny Man (Sandler) has sustained a flourish stand-up career for awhile... And his biggest fan (Seth Rogen.. score!) knows every joke by heart. They meet, get close and Sandler reveals he is really sick... and Rogen might have to take the throne. All turns out well though, and I'm sure Sudden-Death-due-to-Laughter is one of the diseases Sandler is affiliated with in the Flick.

Now for... 9. I saw this trailer (all) of the times I went to see Star Trek, and each time I didn't really know what's going on... see if you can make sense of it:
Mad Scientist is one of the last people in a dying world, and he's putting his legacy into a tiny, cloth, homunculus resembling creature, whose destiny is to save the world... Some big scissor monster is chasing him, and he's hiding in a mouse hole with other homunculi rag dolls. It sort of looks like one of those "Hero gonna slays the Dragon, and probably gets the girl to boot", which I'm not a big fan of, but hey, Tim Burton *is* magic.

G-Force, or the movie that was totally out of place being shown in a Borderline PG-13/R movie, would have looked kind of cool to me if I was half my age... It was about CIA agents, that were the government's pride and joy, and were being closed down and spread through out the country because they were becoming too well known. They started to live normally lives, only for the government to call them back again when they need them most. Does this seem like a R rated thriller to you, at first glance? Me too! Except, I forgot to mention the aforementioned CIA agents, are guinea pigs.

Lastly, Year One has looked epic since the firs time I heard about it. Hell, I was excited when I saw the cardboard cut out of Jack Black and Mike Cera. So basically, if you haven't heard any of the hub-bub, it's really like history's first round trip... But this time we use my favorite medium: Foot. They set out from their primitive hunter gather tribe, to some big city (looked like Rome... but that wouldn't make sense. Probably Jerusalem, or something like that). They stumble their way through the town, and comedy ensues. Can't you just wait for Black to over-deliver every joke, and Cera to under-deliver everything?

Now, to the feature presentation *lights dim, and cool music cues*

Land of the Lost, I think, was probably the best movie I've seen in the last 2 or 3 years, sans Stepbrothers for the sheer hilarity, and Star Trek... for well, being Star Trek. But Land of the Lost, was some of Ferrell's best work... I clearly remember, at one point, the whole theater was laughing from one joke, to the next big one about 2 minutes later... There were only about 30 people present. I don't want to spoil the whole entire movie, but Ferrell is dismissed as a mad man, by Matt Lauer and the scientific community and now teaches 7th or 8th grade children. Another scientist (Much younger and hotter, might I add), from Cambridge comes to talk to Ferrell about his theories about time travel... He shows him some fossils, and he eventually gets around to finishing the machine to take them, not backwards, but sideways in past, to the Land of the Lost. There, he does all of the following: Get's a blood feud with a T-Rex.
Roundhouse kicks an alien into a fiery oven.
Becomes the master of a half ape half man.
Freezes a Dinosaur my catapults nitrogen into it.

See what I'm getting at? Who else, but Will Ferrell. Movie is great though, I really recommend it... and if you're pretty liberal on what you kids (probably 10 or 11 is the minimum age I'd advise) watch, it's decently family friendly. Funny as anything, but not too vulgar... But I digress. At first, I thought land of the lost would ruin Ferrell's great dynasty of Hollywood Comedy dominance, but I was pleasantly surprised tonight. I can't really stress how funny it was, and everyone needs to see it for him or herself. There are puns, and tons of irony... even penis jokes! (PENIS JOKES FOR GOD'S SAKE!)
The movie was 9.5/10, where I thought it'd be in the high 5.x at best. Get off my blog (for tonight) get on Fandango. And go see this movie.

Ah right, and about Danny McBride... I thought he did a good job of acting, but I really wish the "Will Ferrell, and John C. Reily duo stuck together... they were harmony and hilarity... Harlartiy? I think that he would've played the place of Will a bit better, if only becasue him and Ferrell have a history of sheer awesome behind them.

-- We have topped the 500 hits mark! I'm looking forward to another 500 with you all :D.

A Shout-out to Coidzor!

No comments:

Post a Comment